The day of your wedding will certainly be one of the happiest and most unforgettable days of your entire life. Even after the reception is done, you’ll be able to cherish the memory of the day by remembering it via your wedding dress.
Taking the necessary precautions is necessary if you want this symbol of your wedding day to continue looking as gorgeous as it did on the day you said “I do.” It is recommended that you store your wedding dress in a plastic container once it has been cleaned so that it can be preserved for future usage.
In this article, we will go through the benefits and drawbacks of storing your wedding dress in plastic containers, in addition to providing some sound advice on the topic.
If you are a bride-to-be who wants to be prepared or a newlywed who wants to keep their dress in immaculate shape for years to come, continue reading to learn the best methods for doing so in a plastic container. This information is useful for both of these scenarios.
Can You Put Wedding Dress In Plastic Container?
While it’s true that a wedding dress can be stored in a plastic container, there are several things to keep in mind to keep the garment in pristine shape. Here are some essential details to keep in mind:
- Clean the Dress: Before storing your wedding dress, it’s crucial to have it professionally cleaned. Any stains or residue from the wedding day can set over time and become more difficult to remove.
- Choose the Right Container: When selecting a plastic container, opt for one that is made of acid-free and archival-quality materials. These containers are designed to protect delicate fabrics and prevent yellowing or damage over time. Ensure the container is clean and free from any dust or debris.
- Fold Carefully: Fold the wedding dress carefully to avoid creasing or wrinkling. It’s best to fold it along the natural seams or pleats of the dress to minimize stress on the fabric. Place acid-free tissue paper between the folds to prevent direct contact between the dress layers.
- Avoid Plastic Bags: While using a plastic container is suitable for long-term storage, avoid using plastic bags for extended periods. Plastic bags can trap moisture, which may lead to mould or mildew growth.
- Control the Environment: Store the plastic container in a cool, dry, and dark place. Avoid areas with fluctuating temperature or humidity, as these can accelerate the deterioration of the fabric.
- Inspect Periodically: Even when stored in a plastic container, it’s a good idea to periodically inspect the dress. Check for any signs of yellowing, moisture, or damage, and make any necessary adjustments to the storage environment.
- Consider Preservation Services: If your wedding dress holds significant sentimental or monetary value, you may want to consider professional preservation services. These services involve cleaning, treating, and storing the dress in a museum-quality, acid-free preservation box.
A wedding dress can be stored in a plastic container, but it’s important to take the right measures to keep it in good condition for the future. If you follow these instructions and take good care of your dress, it will look as good as the day you wore it on your big day for many years to come.
How Do You Store A Wedding Dress For Travel?
To guarantee that the bridal gown stays in pristine condition during the trip, it is important to pack it with care. Follow these guidelines for transporting your wedding dress, whether you’re carrying it to a destination or just to your wedding site.
- Garment bag or a breathable fabric cover: Choose a high-quality garment bag made of breathable material, preferably one that is designed for wedding dresses.
- Acid-free tissue paper: This will help protect the dress from wrinkles and creases.
- Plastic or bubble wrap: To provide additional protection.
- Hanger: Use a padded hanger designed for wedding dresses, preferably one that’s sturdy and won’t cause stress on the fabric.
Clean the Dress
- Before packing, have your wedding dress professionally cleaned. Any stains or residues can be set and become more challenging to remove during travel.
Pack the Dress
- Lay a clean, flat surface such as a bed or table.
- Gently stuff the bodice and sleeves of the dress with acid-free tissue paper to help maintain its shape.
- Carefully fold the dress along its natural seams or pleats. If your dress has a long train, fold it separately to fit within the garment bag.
- Place the folded dress into the garment bag, ensuring it hangs as straight as possible.
- If you’re concerned about wrinkles, consider layering a sheet of acid-free tissue paper between the folds.
- Secure the hanger hook in the bag’s designated holder, if available, to prevent the dress from sliding around during travel.
- Add additional tissue paper or bubble wrap around any delicate embellishments or beading to protect them.
Seal the Garment Bag
- Close the garment bag and secure any zippers, buttons, or snaps.
- Make sure the dress is well-protected and cushioned inside the bag.
Transport with Care
- When travelling by car, place the dress in the back seat, laying it flat if possible, or hanging it from a garment hook.
- If you’re flying, carry the dress as a carry-on item. Airlines typically allow wedding dresses as additional carry-ons. Store it in the overhead compartment, avoiding cramming it in with other luggage.
Unpack and Steam
- Once you arrive at your destination, carefully unpack the dress and hang it in a safe, clean location.
- If there are minor wrinkles or creases, use a handheld steamer on a low setting to gently remove them. Be cautious with heat and avoid getting the steamer too close to delicate fabrics or embellishments.
Allow Time for Dress to Settle
- Give the dress some time to settle and hang naturally before the wedding day. This allows any wrinkles or folds to relax.
If you follow these guidelines, your wedding dress will arrive in pristine condition, ready to make you look breathtaking on your big day.
It takes great attention to detail and a commitment to protecting the dress’s beauty and integrity to pack a wedding dress so that it may be transported.
If you follow the measures that have been given to you above, including the correct methods for cleaning, packing, and transporting your cherished gown, you will be able to ensure that it will arrive at its destination in pristine shape, ready to be worn on the day that it was intended for.
It is important to remember to protect the dress from wrinkling and damage by hanging it on a padded hanger, using acid-free tissue paper, and a high-quality garment bag. If you’re going to be flying, it’s best to bring the dress with you as a carry-on item rather than checking it in with your luggage.
Unpack the dress as soon as you get there, steam out any wrinkles that aren’t too severe, and then give it time to relax before the wedding.
If you take the time to properly plan and care for your wedding dress, it will not only be able to make it through the trip, but it will also sparkle magnificently as you walk down the aisle, producing lovely memories that will last for years to come.
Seeking for more information? This guide “how to store a wedding dress” is here to help you!